The global drive for sustainability has increased massively in recent years. The past decade has witnessed a boost in professional cleaning companies adopting sustainable, or “green”, cleaning techniques. The reality is, these strategies are easier to incorporate into your commercial business than you might think, and yet they make a world of difference. In this article we’ll be exploring this new wave in sustainable cleaning, and how to make cleaning sustainable for your business.
What is sustainable cleaning?
The 1987 report from the United Nations’ World Commission on Environment and Development defined sustainability as “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
Sustainable cleaning means cleaning in a manner that is not wasteful of resources required for future generations.
The benefits of sustainable cleaning
- Saving water and resources not only saves the planet, but it’s also kinder to your pocket. Green cleaning is therefore a more cost-effective approach for businesses to explore.
- In the modern age, portraying your company as environmentally conscious is becoming increasingly attractive to customers, and can strengthen your brand and its ethics.
- Improves the health of your employees and building. With fewer toxins present in your premises, it will become a cleaner, healthier environment for all.
How to make cleaning sustainable
Your cleaning practices are only as sustainable as the equipment you’re using. Select pieces that are more chemical, water and energy efficient. There are plenty of innovative options available on the market. Also consider using items such as biodegradable bin liners; their stay in landfill will not be as lengthy as ordinary plastic liners. More bio-based chemicals and products with fewer harsh chemicals are better for the surrounding environment. This reduces employees’ exposure to toxins and chemicals.
Buy in bulk
Not only is bulk buying kinder to your pocket, but less packaging and shipping is involved compared to buying on an as-needed basis, resulting in less fuel and resources involved in the delivery of your cleaning products.
Hire out a professional cleaning company
If you’re taking on sole responsibility for cleaning your business, consider hiring a professional cleaning crew to keep everything spick and span. With years of experience in the business, their efficiency, knowledge and flexibility in the role allows them to work alongside you to boost sustainability during the cleaning process. Establish a schedule that restricts wastage in water and other resources. Switching to daytime cleaning can also reduce money spent on lighting and aircon that is needed for nighttime cleaning. A professional company, such as Alban Cleaning, are happy to work alongside our commercial clients to establish the best cleaning schedule to benefit their business.
- Turn your office into nature’s haven. According to some research, plants can be just as effective at freshening up the interior of your premises, helping you to ditch the air freshener (or at least, reduce its usage).
- Declutter your premises before the professional cleaning company arrive. This will allow the operation to be more efficient and effective.
- Keep employees informed of your endeavours. A little environmental education can go a long way to enriching the public knowledge of this subject.
Contact Alban Cleaning Today:
If you’re planning to overhaul your cleaning routine, the specialists at Alban Cleaning can help. With over 20 years in the industry, we provide high quality commercial contract cleaning services throughout St Albans, Hemel Hempstead and surrounding areas. If you’re looking to be more sustainable, just chat to one of our experts. Call the team on 01727 789 626 or get in touch online.